Top tips to get fit for ski season
The snow is falling, the trails are groomed and the local mountains are now open for ski season. But before you grab your skis or board and throw your body into an activity you most likely haven’t done for months (if not years), take note of a few tips that will ensure your après-ski is truly enjoyable.
There’s nothing worse than getting left behind on the slopes or extreme muscle soreness after your first session of the season. We’ve all been there before…
Top tips to get fit for ski season:
- Flexibility & mobility: People mistakenly think they get injuries due to weak muscles but it’s often the result of a lack of mobility, flexibility or not being warmed-up for the activity in hand.
Fix it! Use a foam roller – like the portable RumbleRoller – to loosen up those hips, stretch those muscles and stay nimble. It’s also a great solution post ski session to ensure you combat any muscle soreness immediately.
- Balance & core strength: A lack of balance will cause you to topple over while zooming down those slopes while good core strength will keep you posture perfect.
Fix it! Use a bosu ball to strengthen those abs and thigh muscles in particular!
- Strength: We often go from doing minimal exercise or short workouts to spending hours navigating our way down the mountain at speed. This is no mean feat and can be extremely tiring on the legs and core.
Fix it! Exercise bands are a simple and effective way to work on key muscle groups to ensure your body has the strength and stamina to tackle the toughest of moguls.
- Cardio: Don’t neglect your cardio in the run-up to and during the ski season otherwise you’ll be left red in the face for more than one reason.
Fix it! Spinning is a great way to improve your cardio fitness and get those legs in tip-top shape. If you don’t fancy spinning, take regular runs or bike rides on the seawall to ensure your body isn’t shocked into hours of cardio on the mountain.
- Keep it real: Ultimately, you need to choose workouts that you’re going to enjoy and actually want to do on a regular basis. Set yourself goals each week and stay disciplined. Your ski season on and off the slopes will be a lot more enjoyable if you do.
Get your body fit for ski season so you don’t miss out on prime ski time! Pop by your gym and give these tips a try, or for more expert advise and demonstrations on how to get your body fit for ski season at home, drop by to chat with one of Fitness Town‘s fitness experts.
They have eight retail locations including Burnaby, Langley, South Vancouver, Kitsilano, Surrey, North Vancouver, Port Coquitlam and Edmonton.