Recipe: Double Chocolate Cake
Chocolate cake is doubly delicious when made with PC Decadent Chocolate Cake Mix and PC The Decadent Chocolate Bar with Cookie Pieces! The chocolate-vanilla frosting makes just enough to top the two layers- donâ€™t spread over the sides.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cool time: 60 minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Chef: Soo Kim
1 pkg (500 g) PC Decadent Chocolate Cake Mix
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup (250 mL) 2% milk
3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, softened
1-Â½ cups (375 mL) icing sugar
3/4 tsp (4 mL) PC Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
2 tbsp (25 mL) sour cream or 35% whipping cream
1 bar (100 g) PC The Decadent Chocolate Bar with Cookie Pieces, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup/175 mL)
1. Preheat oven (20 minutes) to 325oF (160oC). Lightly grease two 8-inch round (1.2 L) cake
pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, butter, milk and eggs. Using electric mixer, beat on low
speed for 30 seconds until moistened. Scrape side of bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1-Â½
minutes. Pour into prepared pans, dividing evenly; smooth tops.
3. Bake on middle oven rack for 25 to 27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre
comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discard
parchment paper and cool completely before icing.
4. Make Frosting: In large bowl and using electric mixer beat butter until light and fluffy. Scrape
side of bowl. Add 1 cup (250 mL) of the icing sugar; beat until combined. Beat in remaining
icing sugar, vanilla and salt until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in sour cream.
Beat in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the chocolate.
5. Place one cake layer on cake plate. Spread top with half of the frosting. Top with other cake
layer; spread top with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) chocolate.
Makes 10 servings
Per serving: 550 calories, fat 29 g, sodium 330 mg, carbohydrate 69 g, fibre 2 g, protein 5 g