Converse x JW Anderson Simply_Complex collection drops March 2nd
In what has become one of the most enlightened footwear collaborations since they first appeared down the runway at Pitti Uomo 2017, Jonathan Andersonâ€™s latest interpretation of iconic Converse sneakers reflects the detailed tension, and ongoing blurring of lines between high fashion and street style.
He calls this collaboration a labor of love and obsession. In Simply_Complex, Jonathanâ€™s emphatic approach to Converse icons dials in on the way a shoe evolves through time and in fashion as they are worn on the streets.
With an acute focus on materialization, Simply_Complex continues to see the Thunderbolt and Chuck 70 as core silhouettes to his exploration, reconstructed with nuance to create provoking designs.
The Thunderbolt, a silhouette that had particularly captured Jonathanâ€™s imagination at the start of the Converse collaboration, returns in denim and suede iterations. In his typical fashion, Jonathanâ€™s means of â€œmessingâ€ with the product sees an asymmetrical approach to the shoe.
– The Denim Thunderbolt is constructed with three different executions of raw indigo denim, in theory, as it wears on the street it will develop a slightly individualized look.
– The asymmetrical Suede Thunderbolt features goat leather lining / goat leather sock lining.
The Chuck 70 also begins to come to life in new ways in Simply_Complex. Inspired by the traditional brown menswear shoe, Jonathan applies themes from the formalwear to the street icon, elevating Chuck in a sophisticated but playful manner. As Jonathan puts it, â€œwe approached it as a sneaker first
but introduced detailed elements and the suede execution that make it a sort of curious version of Chuck, ultimately constructing the silhouette as a statement shoe.â€
– The Chuck 70 XX Hi is done in a flesh out leather (suede is featured on the outer, the leather side is featured on the inside of the sneaker), creating a comfortable, lived-in feeling for its wearer. The silhouette offers a slightly individual take on a Converse classic that Jonathan wore himself to bow at the end of his Pitti Uomo 2017 show.â€œFor me they are perfect with chinos, jeans and a white t-shirt,â€ he said.
– Serrated edging on the tongue on both the Chuck 70 Hi and XX Hi are a nod to the traditional brown shoe.
– Scaling down the refined features of the Chuck 70 even further, micro-eyelets take the Chuck 70 to a more feminine and vintage place.
Converse x JW Anderson will be available on March 2, 2018 from Converse.ca, ssense.com, j-w-anderson.com and JW Anderson stores globally.