Metropolis at Metrotown to host Retail Job Fair – September 28, 2013
This Saturday, September 28th, Metropolis at Metrotown will hold its 6thÂ Annual Retail Job Fair fromÂ 10am to 6pmÂ at the shopping centreâ€™s Atrium and Grand Courts. More than 25 retailers are looking to fill upwards of 500 positions available for the upcoming holiday season.
The Job Fair is open to job seekers looking for part-time, full-time, entry-level, or managerial positions. Participating retailers include Toys â€œRâ€ Us, Forever 21, Club Monaco, Coach, Roots, Gap, GUESS, Michael Kors, Aldo Group, The Source, Banana Republic, and Godiva Chocolatier among others. The Job Fair is expected to attract hundreds of young people, many of them seeking their first job experience.
Top 5 Tips for Landing a Job in Retail:
1. Dress to impress.Â Employers are looking for candidates who stand out â€“ they want employees who look professional and represent their brand. Some retailers will hold interviews on the spot so candidates are encouraged to come dressed appropriately for a job interview.
2. Bring resumes â€“ lots of them. Your resume should be tailored to the organizations and jobs youâ€™re applying to and, if possible, should have a cover letter directed to employers you know will be at the Job Fair.
3. Bring calling cards.Â A business card including personal information and links to your Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages is much more likely to wind up in a recruiterâ€™s pocket, helping you stand out from the crowd.
4. Do your research. During your conversation with a potential employer, you want to be able to discuss what you have to offer. Knowing as much about the company as possible will allow you to best speak to an employerâ€™s goals and to highlight how your skills align with their expectations.
5. Prepare an â€˜elevator pitchâ€™.Â Simply put, an elevator pitch is a 30 second to minute-long explanation of who you are, what you offer, and how you can benefit a potential employer. It may be your only opportunity to make a positive impression on an employer, so while your pitch may differ slightly with each retailer, itâ€™s important to focus on confidently introducing yourself, speaking to your experience, and engaging positively with a potential employer.
EVENT:Â Metropolis at Metrotown 6thÂ Annual Job Fair
DATE:Â Saturday, September 28th
TIME:Â 10am to 6pm
LOCATION:Â Metropolis at Metrotown Atrium & Grand Courts
Photo:Â Metropolis at Metrotown