PC Blue Menu gives families more of what they need for this back to school season
When it comes to choosing healthy meals for your family, it’s no longer about less calories, less fat, less sodium; it’s about getting more. More protein, more fibre and more vegetables. More taste! Once focused on cutting things out of our diets, today it’s about fueling our families with the things that keep them going, especially during the busy back to school time frame.
This back to school season, the newly relaunched PC Blue Menu wants to inspire Canadians to get more of what you want from their food, giving families what they need for healthier and easy meals, any time of the day. With new takes on favourite family classics like the PC Blue Menu Wild Rice And Mushroom Stuffing Chicken Breast Roast or the PC Blue Menu Reduced Fat Shepherd’s Pie healthier eating never tasted so good.
PC Blue Menu Toasted Coconut Trail Mix Bites, for kids without nut-allergies, whip up a batch of these bite-size fruit and nut treats to keep in your fridge for a quick and satisfying grab-and-go snack for after school
Toasted Coconut Trail Mix Bites Recipe
Whip up a batch of these bite-size fruit and nut treats to keep in your fridge for a quick and satisfying grab-and-go snack. Soft dates work best in this recipe, but don’t worry if your dates are on the firmer side –simply soak them in a bowl of hot water for about 30 minutes to soften before using.
Makes: about 20 pieces
Prep time:20 minutes
Chill time:15 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
Per serving (1 piece): 100 calories, fat 5 g (1 g of which is saturated), sodium 45 mg, carbohydrate 12 g, fibre 2 g, sugars 7 g, protein 2 g
– 1/2 cup (125 mL) Medjool dates, pitted
– 2 tbsp (25 mL) PC Blue Menu Just Almonds Smooth Almond Butter
– 1 tbsp (15 mL) PC 100% Pure Maple Syrup
– 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pure vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
– 1 cup (250 mL) PC Blue Menu Trail Mix
– 2 tbsp (25 mL) PC Blue Menu Ancient Grains & Super Seeds Blend
– 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC Crispy Rice Cereal
– 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried apricots, roughly chopped
– 1/4 cup (50 mL) PC The Decadent Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
– 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1. Pulse dates, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down bowl if necessary.
2. Add trail mix and seeds blend; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add cereal, apricots and chocolate chips; pulse until combined.
3. Transfer to large bowl; mix with moistened hands if necessary to combine. Roll by heaping 1 tbsp into balls; roll in coconut to coat. Arrange in single layer on large plate or baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
Chef’s Tip:Toast coconut in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes.