Fiona Louie – Filou Designs
Hello Vancity Profile: Fiona Louie, Jewellery Designer of Filou Designs
Filou Designs features Original Sketches & Tiny Sculptures Transformed into Unique Sterling Silver Jewelry Inspired by Nature, Handcrafted by Fiona Louie in Vancouver, Canada.
1. Tell me a little about yourself?
I am a born Vancouverite with a love for nature and creativity.
2. When did you realize you wanted to become a jewellery designer?
I actually started out in clothing design but once I began making jewelry, I couldn’t stop. I started making hairclips in 1998 and sold some to Hills/Blue Ruby.
3. How do you describe the “Filou Designs” style?
Filou Designs style is classic and timeless with a hint of humour and whimsy. The pieces make great gifts as they are often chosen because they evoke a memory for the wearer. They can be worn everyday and layered for a more dressed up look.
4. Where do you get your design inspiration?
I find inspiration while traveling, walking in natural surroundings like the forest or swimming in the ocean. I have a vivid imagination so sometimes I just have to sit back and let thoughts wander…
5. What is the best perk in being a designer?
What’s great about being a jewelry designer is that I can wear a different piece everyday if I really wanted to! I enjoy seeing designs become real wearable pieces.
6. What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start a career in fashion / jewellery design?
Your style comes from you, don’t try to be something you aren’t. Also, have a good sense of your plan and where you would like to end up. Take classes, meet people and learn.