Converse x JW Anderson Simply_Complex collection drops March 2nd
In what has become one of the most enlightened footwear collaborations since they first appeared down the runway at Pitti Uomo 2017, Jonathan Anderson’s latest interpretation of iconic Converse sneakers reflects the detailed tension, and ongoing blurring of lines between high fashion and street style.
He calls this collaboration a labor of love and obsession. In Simply_Complex, Jonathan’s emphatic approach to Converse icons dials in on the way a shoe evolves through time and in fashion as they are worn on the streets.
With an acute focus on materialization, Simply_Complex continues to see the Thunderbolt and Chuck 70 as core silhouettes to his exploration, reconstructed with nuance to create provoking designs.
The Thunderbolt, a silhouette that had particularly captured Jonathan’s imagination at the start of the Converse collaboration, returns in denim and suede iterations. In his typical fashion, Jonathan’s means of “messing” with the product sees an asymmetrical approach to the shoe.
– The Denim Thunderbolt is constructed with three different executions of raw indigo denim, in theory, as it wears on the street it will develop a slightly individualized look.
– The asymmetrical Suede Thunderbolt features goat leather lining / goat leather sock lining.
The Chuck 70 also begins to come to life in new ways in Simply_Complex. Inspired by the traditional brown menswear shoe, Jonathan applies themes from the formalwear to the street icon, elevating Chuck in a sophisticated but playful manner. As Jonathan puts it, “we approached it as a sneaker first
but introduced detailed elements and the suede execution that make it a sort of curious version of Chuck, ultimately constructing the silhouette as a statement shoe.”
– The Chuck 70 XX Hi is done in a flesh out leather (suede is featured on the outer, the leather side is featured on the inside of the sneaker), creating a comfortable, lived-in feeling for its wearer. The silhouette offers a slightly individual take on a Converse classic that Jonathan wore himself to bow at the end of his Pitti Uomo 2017 show.“For me they are perfect with chinos, jeans and a white t-shirt,” he said.
– Serrated edging on the tongue on both the Chuck 70 Hi and XX Hi are a nod to the traditional brown shoe.
– Scaling down the refined features of the Chuck 70 even further, micro-eyelets take the Chuck 70 to a more feminine and vintage place.