TOIFA 2013 Kicks Off With Celebration of Hindi Cinema Song and Dance at the Musical Extravaganza
Bollywood’s best singers are hitting the stage at Vancouver’s Pacific Coliseum tonight as the first annual Times of India Film Awards (TOIFA), presented by THIND Properties, kicks into high gear. The concert, like nothing British Columbia has seen before, also features the world-renowned choreography of the highly acclaimed Shiamak Davar, and will be hosted by glamorous Bollywood actress Neha Dhupia.
“Times of India Film Awards are yet another step for us in getting closer to millions of Indians across the globe. TOIFA’s Musical Extravaganza is a tribute to the legendary Hindi Cinema music that audiences have been cherishing for 100 years now. It’s a great way to kick-start the TOIFA celebrations in Vancouver and we are looking forward to a gala weekend ahead,” says Mr. Vineet Jain, Managing Director, Times of India Group.
“I am delighted to welcome the Times of India Film Awards, and its global audience, to British Columbia this week,” says Christy Clark, Premier of British Columbia. “From TOIFAs Technical Awards to the Musical Extravaganza to the Awards Gala itself, each TOIFA event translates into a deeper relationship between our province and India. Strong business ties don’t develop between strangers – they grow between friends. With the Times Group’s enormous media platform, I am optimistic that TOIFA will help British Columbians gain many new friendships in India’s fast-growing marketplace. I encourage all British Columbians to join me in welcoming India to B.C. and enjoy the festivities!”
A variety of musical stylings are being performed tonight, showcasing everything from romantic ballads, popular hip-hop tracks and pop numbers that exhilarated the crowds.
Featured artists include:
- Kavita Seth- An award winning Hindi playback singer who’s performing a number of hit songs including ‘Iktaara’ from Wake Up Sid and her most recent blockbuster in 2012 Tumhi Ho Bandhu
- Sunidhi Chauhan- India’s most versatile female playback singer best known for her peppy and foot-tapping numbers, sets the stage on fire with some of her favourite songs includingIshq Sufiyana, Aavaiye, Bin Tere, Halkat Jawani, Te Amo, Babli Badmaash, Beedi, Sheila, Yaram (ek Thi Dayan), Dhooka, Thank god it’s Friday, Mast Punjabi, Bindaas and Patang Wali Dor
- Mohit Chauhan – Best known for his romantic ballads, this Indian pop and playback singer, is a multiple award winning artist who is getting the audience dancing with his super hits likeDooriyan, Pee Loon, Masakali and Naddan Parindey
- Hard Kaur- The face of hip hop in India, she’s performing some of India’s most popular dance tracks likes Sadda Dil Vi Tu (Ganpati), Peeney Do, Char Baaj Gaye and Singh is King
- Shalmali Kholgade- Award winning singer known for her magical voice and her versatility in songs is performing ‘Lath Lag Gayi’ from Race 2, ‘Pareshaan’ from Ishaazade and her recent hit song ‘Radha’ from Student of the Year.
- Shiamak Davar- Multifaceted Choreographer and Singer, Shiamak the Guru of Modern and Contemporary dance, is also performing some of his favorite Bollywood numbers for his Vancouver audience
Another surprise for the evening is Pareshaan singer Shalmali Kholgade who collaborates with theGlassy singer Hard Kaur to do a duo performance for the audience. They’re rocking the Vancouver stage with a jugalbandi of hits like Daaru Desi and Ek Glassy along with their closing act ofGangnam Style!
The celebrations continue tomorrow with the TOIFA Technical Awards – an invitation only event being held at the Vancouver Convention Centre and expected to attract stars amongst the likes of Urmila Matondkar, Raveena Tandon, Ileana D’Cruz and Salman Y Khan. On Saturday April 6th, the red carpet will be rolled out for Bollywood’s superstars as they arrive at TOIFA’s Grand Awards Ceremony at BC Place. The awards will include performances by Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Anushka Sharma and Priyanka Chopra in a remarkable show like none other.