Hockey Day at Richmond Olympic Oval – February 9, 2013
Kicking off the new BC Family Day long weekend, Richmond Celebrates Hockey Day will be a family-focussed, day-long celebration of Canada’s greatest passion. From appearances by hockey legends to fun and interactive tests of your hockey skills to real life ice hockey, ball hockey, street hockey and more, it will be a mammoth celebration of hockey the whole family can enjoy.
A legendary visit
A special appearance by Hockey Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur headlines this year’s event. One of the most exciting players of his era, Lafleur led the Montreal Canadians to five Stanley cup victories. Individually, he won three Art Ross trophies as the leading scorer in the National Hockey League (NHL), two Hart Memorial trophies as the league’s Most Valuable player, the 1977 Conn Smythe trophy as the most valuable player in the Stanley Cup playoffs and three Lester B. Pearson Awards (most valuable player as chosen by his peers). He also won the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canada’s most outstanding athlete in 1977.
Alumni in action
Another highlight will be an on-ice showdown with the Vancouver Canucks Alumni team vs. the Richmond Sockeyes Alumni. The alumni team coming to the Oval will feature many of the most popular Vancouver Canucks of the past 40 years, including members of 1994 and 1982 Stanley Cup finalists. The Richmond Sockeyes are one of Canada’s most successful junior hockey franchises with numerous provincial, Western Canadian and national championships to their credit. Tickets are $15 at brownpapertickets.com.
Sockeyes vs Kodiaks
For the second straight year, the current Richmond Sockeyes will take to the Oval ice for a Pacific International Junior Hockey League game, taking on the Aldergrove Kodiaks in a matinee match-up.
Other hockey highlights:
- Appearances and autograph signings by a number NHL legends and special appearances by popular Canucks mascot Fin and his friends.
- Performances by the popular Vancouver Canucks house band and Canadian rock/pop stars Odds.
- Hockey market place with more than 40 booths featuring collectibles, memorabilia and more.
- Celebrity floorball games starring NHL legends, media personalities and members of Richmond City Council, plus floorball skills challenges and demos throughout the day.
- Fun, interactive and informative hockey memorabilia displays from the BC Sports Hall of Fame.
- An interactive fun zone where fans can test their shooting and other hockey skills; mini-hockey for kids.
- A day-long hockey jamboree on twin Olympic-sized ice sheets with minor hockey games, skills clinics, and demonstrations.
- A chance to test your skills in table hockey, air hockey, electronic hockey games and more.
- An Urban Rec floor hockey tournament in the Oval.
- Numerous merchandise giveaways, prize draws and fun contests.
Richmond Olympic Oval
6111 River Road, Richmond, BC
Photo: Richmond Oval