You’ve seen his type before: sharp dresser, sleek ride, impeccable taste in wine. So it only seems natural that his home would be an extension of himself-carefully curated, thoughtful and put together. Would you be surprised to find this is often not the case?
Ok let’s face it-Interior Design just isn’t something that most men think about. Picking out pillows and fussing over artwork is usually a job reserved for the girlfriends, the wives and even the Moms. It’s not that guys can’t appreciate a well dressed home, or covet their buddy’s swanky new living room. More often than not it’s as simple as one word: knowledge.
Knowledge is truly power, and when it comes to designing the perfect interior, knowledge can make the difference between a room that looks like it did when you first graduated College (can you say beer box entertainment stand?) and one that looks like the “you” you are today: confident, successful and coordinated.
So what kind of knowledge do you need to possess when it comes to taking your space from frat to fantastic? Here’s a simple list of things every guy can do to improve their home.
- Think Scale: When it comes to flat screens and subwoofers guys understand that size matters. Well the same is true for your furniture, art and space plan. The eye naturally seeks balance, so if you have a tiny two-seater couch opposite a huge entertainment concept, the room is going to feel completely off balance. Anchor your room on both sides with pieces of even visual weight, and fill the rest of the space in with accessories, accent pieces and art that help keep the room balanced.
- Colour Coordinate: No need to get matchy matchy, but just like the whole “match your belt to your shoes” notion the same principle can be applied to your space. Think of your entire home as an outfit. Do the colours in one room flow to the next? Does one room completely clash from the others? Simply choosing harmonious colours will go a long way to make your home feel coordinated and put together.
- Highlight You: You live here-shouldn’t your home reflect that? Got an amazing Star Wars Collection? Mount it into shadow boxes and hang on a darkly painted feature wall for an instant centerpiece. Love hockey? Instead of hiding that signed Burrows jersey have it professionally framed and mount it over the sofa with a collage of memorabilia. Women love to personalize their space, but guys would be surprised to find how much they enjoy living in a space that doesn’t feel like an empty shoe box!
- A Place for Everything: I hate to break it to you, but the floor is not the ideal place to store clothes, dirty dishes, books or last nights gym bag. Organize your closets with cool metal boxes, keep your laundry basket in an accessible spot and remember the dishwasher is your friend. Keeping clutter out of the way is actually a great way to make a space feel good. Less clutter=more room to entertain=more house parties=more enjoyment of your great new home.
- Know When to Call a Professional: Sorta like the old “men hate to ask for directions” adage, men don’t often think to call in the professionals when it comes to tackling their interior. It can often be an intimidating thing to open your home to someone who designs spaces for a living, but what you need to remember is: the designer works for YOU. Our job is to help you achieve the best space possible for your lifestyle, budget and personal style. The best part is that we know where to source all those cool pieces from, plus: what colour would look amazing in your bedroom, what sofa would unify your space and what cool new trends are coming down the pipe. A good designer will listen to your needs, work within your budget and creatively solve your spacial dilemmas.
Guys, it’s 2012. Gone are the days when only women wore moisturizer, beer was the only acceptable masculine drink and “Home is Where the Heart Is” and therefore was decorated in hearts. Your space doesn’t have to be frilly, or precious, or uptight. Arm yourself with a bit of knowledge and in no time you can create a space that speaks of you. If you’re capable of putting together a great outfit, picking an excellent merlot or shining up your ride, you are completely capable of creating an inspired space that feels great and looks even better.
Port + Quarter is your custom-tailored interior specialist. Call us today to set up an initial evaluation of your space. E: [email protected] T: 604-909-2399
Photo: Design Shuffle